Effective date: June 1st. 2020
- WHO WE ARE
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
- HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- WHEN WE DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
- COOKIES AND OTHER SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
- ONLINE ANALYTICS AND TAILORED ADVERTISING
- CALIFORNIA DO-NOT-TRACK DISCLOSURE
- CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
- LINKS TO EXTERNAL PLATFORMS
- UPDATING, DELETING, AND CORRECTING YOUR INFORMATION
- CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
- YOUR CHOICES REGARDING EMAIL COMMUNICATIONS
- INTERNATIONAL VISITORS CONSENT TO TRANSFERS
- CONTACT US
WHO WE ARE
NeedU is a P2P support network that helps individuals going through hard times (e.g. loss, sickness, etc.). The platform facilitates the following process:
- User creates NeedU page for friends and/or family going through hard times (e.g. sickness, loss, etc.)
- User adds needs (e.g. lawn care, childcare, meals, donations, etc.) to page based on required support
- User shares NeedU page with network (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, email, etc.) to rally support
We started NeedU based on personal experience of family loss. This combined with the current COVID environment has inspired us to help others. Our mission is to establish a user friendly platform that rallies support for those in need.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
How we collect and store information depends on how you access and use the Platform. We collect information in multiple ways including when you provide information directly to us, when you permit third parties to provide information to us, and when we passively collect information from you, such as information collected from your browser or device.
Information You Provide Directly to Us
We may collect information from you during your use or access of the Platform, such as:
- When you register for an Account;
- When you enroll for electronic newsletters;
- When you make a purchase;
- When you fill out any forms;
- When you enter a sweepstakes or contest, or register for a promotion;
- When you transmit User Content; or
- When you otherwise communicate with us or other users through the Platform.
Information from Affiliates, Social Networking Sites, and other Non-affiliated Third Parties We may collect information about you or others through NeedU affiliates or through non-affiliated third parties.
Location Information. When you use the Platform, we may collect general location information (such as IP address).
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may use your information for any of the following reasons:
- For the purposes for which you provided it;
- To enable you to use the services available through the Platform, including registering you for our services and verifying your identity and authority to use our services;
- For customer support and to respond to your inquiries;
- For internal record-keeping purposes;
- To improve and maintain the Platform and for product development;
- To address fraud or safety concerns, or to investigate complaints or suspected fraud or wrongdoing;
- To periodically send promotional emails regarding new products from NeedU, special offers from NeedU, or other information that may interest you;
- With your consent, to contact you by text message regarding certain services or information you have requested;
- With your consent, to contact you by telephone or text message regarding Platform features, improvements, or other products and services that may interest you;
- For NeedU market research purposes, including, but not limited to, the customization of the Platform according to your interests;
- To contact you about goods and services that may interest you or with information about your use of the Platform;
- For other research and analytical purposes; and
- To resolve disputes, to protect ourselves and other users of the Platform, and to enforce any legal terms that govern your use of the Platform.
We may combine information that we collect from you through the Platform with information that we obtain from affiliated and nonaffiliated third parties, and information derived from any other products or services we provide. We may aggregate and/or de-identify information collected through the Platform. We may use de-identified or aggregated data for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes and may also share such data with any third parties, including without limitation, advertisers, promotional partners, sponsors, event promoters, and/or others.
WHEN WE DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
Unless otherwise described in this Policy, we may also share the information that we collect from you through the Platform as follows:
- Affiliates. We may share your information with any NeedU affiliates.
- Service Providers. We may provide access to your information to select third parties who perform services on our behalf. These third parties provide a variety of services to us including without limitation billing, sales, marketing, advertising, market research, fulfillment, data storage, analysis and processing, identity verification, fraud and safety protection and legal services. As we retain new service providers, we generally seek contractual assurances from these service providers that they will not use your information in any manner other than to help us provide you with the services and products available from NeedU.
- Legal Requirements. We may disclose your information when required by law or when we believe in good faith that such disclosure is necessary to: (a) comply with subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process we receive; (b) establish or exercise our legal rights including enforcing and administering agreements with users; or (c) defend NeedU against legal claims. If we are required by law to disclose your information, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify you unless we believe in our sole discretion that (a) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, court order or applicable law; or (b) we, in our sole discretion, believe that providing notice could create a risk of injury or death, or that harm or fraud could be directed to NeedU or users. We will attempt to provide the notice by email if you have given us an email address..
- Business Transfers. As we continue to develop our business, we may sell, buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses, or sell some or all of our assets. In such transactions or where there is any change of control of NeedU, user information may be among the transferred assets.
- Academics and Research. We may provide information about users to third parties for academic and research purposes, in anonymized or aggregated form.
Please be advised that some information you provide will be publicly accessible. For instance, registration for an Account requires that you provide us with your name. If you choose to post User Content on or through the Platform, such as through Member-to-Member messaging, through our review boards, forums, blogs, or other postings, that information: (a) may be or become publicly available; (b) may be collected and used by third parties without our knowledge; and (c) may be used in a manner that may violate this Policy, the law, or your personal privacy.
COOKIES AND OTHER SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
ONLINE ANALYTICS AND TAILORED ADVERTISING
We may use third-party web analytics services on the Platform, such as those of Google Analytics. These service providers use the sort of technology described in the Information That Is Passively or Automatically Collected section above to help us analyze how users use the Platform, including by noting the third-party website from which you arrive. The information collected by the technology will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Platform. We also use Google Analytics for certain purposes related to advertising, as described in the following section. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-on.
CALIFORNIA DO-NOT-TRACK DISCLOSURE
NeedU is committed to providing you with meaningful choices about the information collected on our Platform for third party purposes. That is why we have provided links below to the NAI “Customer Opt-out” link, DAA opt-out link, a Google opt-out link. However, NeedU does not currently recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do-Not-Track signals, as the internet industry is currently still working on Do-Not-Track standards, implementations and solutions.
Our Services are not designed for children under 18. Only persons 18 years of age or older may use the Platform. If we discover that an individual under 18 has provided us with personal information, we will close the account and delete such information.
We employ appropriate physical, procedural and technological security measures, which are reasonably designed to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access or disclosure. NeedU may use encryption, passwords, and physical security measures to help protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure. No security measures, however, are 100% failsafe. Therefore, we do not promise and cannot guarantee, and thus you should not expect, that your personal information or private communications will not be collected, disclosed and/or used by others. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, keeping your log-in and password private, and not recycling passwords from other websites or accounts. NeedU is not responsible for the unauthorized use of your information nor for any lost, stolen, compromised passwords, or for any activity on your Account via unauthorized password activity.
LINKS TO EXTERNAL PLATFORMS
The Platform may contain links to other websites or resources over which NeedU does not have any control. Such links do not constitute an endorsement by NeedU of those external websites. You acknowledge that NeedU is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and further agree that NeedU is not responsible for the content of such external websites or the protection and privacy of information you provide while visiting such external websites.
UPDATING, DELETING, AND CORRECTING YOUR INFORMATION
YOUR CHOICES REGARDING EMAIL COMMUNICATIONS
We may send periodic promotional or informational emails to you. You may opt out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you emails about your Account or any services you have requested or received from us.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
THIS POLICY IS CURRENT AS OF THE EFFECTIVE DATE SET FORTH ABOVE. NeedU MAY, IN ITS SOLE AND ABSOLUTE DISCRETION, CHANGE THIS POLICY AT ANY TIME. NeedU WILL POST ITS UPDATED POLICY ON THE PLATFORM OR SEND YOU AN EMAIL IN ADVANCE OF THE NEW EFFECTIVE DATE. NeedU ENCOURAGES YOU TO REVIEW THIS POLICY REGULARLY FOR ANY CHANGES. YOUR CONTINUED ACCESS TO OR USE OF THE PLATFORM WILL BE SUBJECT TO THE TERMS OF THE THEN-CURRENT POLICY.
INTERNATIONAL VISITORS CONSENT TO TRANSFER
Our computer systems are currently based in the United States, so your personal data will be processed by us in the United States, where data protection and privacy regulations may not offer the same level of protection as in other parts of the world, such as the European Union. If you create an Account with the Platform as a visitor from outside the United States, by using the Platform, you agree to this Policy and you consent to the transfer of all such information to the United States, which may not offer an equivalent level of protection of that required in the European Union or certain other countries, and to the processing of that information as described in this Policy.